quidni pro quo

Random musings at random intervals. Erudition not guaranteed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: El Paso area, Texas, United States

I'm a 40-something Christian, conservative, pro-life, Constitutionalist, motorcycle-riding, pick-up truck driving, wife, mother, state employee, ham radio operator and part-time college student, enlisted in the Texas State Guard. Everything else is subject to revision without notice.

Sunday, August 08, 2010

When all else fails (continued)

Previous post reminded me of this little incident, when I was at Annual Training with the State Guard this past June.

I kept my HT Yaesu radio clipped onto the shoulder strap of my camelback, all through AT; it's not against regulations or "out of uniform" to have it with me so I tend to keep it handy 24/7.

I had just walked out of the chow hall on Saturday evening. An officer from one of the other units stopped me with a scowl on his face and asked, "Soldier, why do you have to carry that radio with you everywhere?"

I replied, "I don't have to, Sir."

He countered, "Well, why do you carry it then?"

"Because, Sir, when all else fails... Ham radio."

He gave me a long, hard stare, then shook his head and turned back to his group with a muttered, "Damn! I've got to get me one of those."

73

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home