quidni pro quo

Random musings at random intervals. Erudition not guaranteed.

My Photo
Name:
Location: El Paso area, Texas, United States

I'm a 40-something Christian, conservative, pro-life, Constitutionalist, motorcycle-riding, pick-up truck driving, wife, mother, state employee, ham radio operator and part-time college student, enlisted in the Texas State Guard. Everything else is subject to revision without notice.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Thank you, Mr. W

He was a tall man, even with the slight stooping that came with age. Spare-framed, and craggy looking. I can't really describe him any other way - except the twinkle in his eyes, and the way he carried himself, proclaimed him to be younger on the inside than the white hair and crow's feet declared on the outside. And he had been awarded two Purple Hearts. I got curious.

Me: So, where did you serve, sir?
Him: I was on the last troop ship that was sunk by a German sub in the English Channel. Only a third of us survived.
Me: Wow... World War II.
Him: The second was when I served in Korea.
Me: My Dad served in Korea, and 'Nam.
Him: (grinning) The only reason I wasn't in Vietnam was because I'd already been ordered to Panama.

I definitely had to shake his hand before he left. Thank you for serving, Mr. W! May God bless you and your family.

Salute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home